Providence Health & Services Principal Data Manager in Redmond, Washington
Providence St. Joseph Health is calling a Principal Data Manager to our location in Irvine, CA, Seattle, WA, or Portland, OR.
We are seeking a Principal Data Manager who will be the business-facing role within an Information Services or Data Management organization. As such, the Data Manager works with Business Stakeholders to understand business needs and requirements, assess the impacts of those needs and translate them to data-driven and data-centric solutions. The Data Manager must be able to work with a variety of business and technical roles through the enterprise and not only be able to articulate business needs, but also be able to integrate input from other business and technical stakeholders into developing and implementing a solution. In addition to impact assessments, the Data Manager must also be able to conduct root cause analysis and identify not only the proximate cause of an issue but also other conditions and factors that led to the occurrence of that issue. The Data Manager will deploy and propagate standard practices in data management, and work with various technical and non-technical stakeholders to adopt such standard processes. The Data Manager will use a variety of tools to analyze data and collaborate with others to organize and catalog the data and to obtain insights from such data. The Data Manager will act as subject matter expert for certain data domains or practices, such as a data management discipline or subject area or data flow and lineage or other focus areas.
In this position you will have the following responsibilities:
• Analysis and Design: Conduct impact analysis of requested changes and/or new projects or initiatives. Conduct root cause analysis for data-related issues. Review data lineage, and related business and technical metadata, as well the state of data quality of relevant data.
• Technical Depth: Query database tables to derive information about data content and its relationship with other data in disparate tables. Assess data based on its source and its relationship with master and reference data. Assess implications of data governance, data quality, data privacy and metadata management. Research and understand relevant data tools and technologies.
• Building User and Data Partner Relationships: Engage key players in the customer/partner/client's organization. Understand user/data partner's business and needs including organizational structure and goals, business processes, or business model to identify opportunities and/or enhance the user/data partner/peer relationship. Demonstrate ability to assess customer's needs and communicate with disparate clients at varying levels in the organization.
• Customer Focused Release Engagement: Develop and execute Agile or Kanban features and user stores, as well as specific activities to deliver the feature.
• Project Management: Facilitate the progress of data initiatives while working with cross-functional teams. Identify risks and dependencies, as well as a dependencies and constraints. Understand and facilitate the delivery of project objectives, expected quality, metrics, the business case and related business value.
• Data and Solution Management: Plan for anticipated internal and external data audits and implement activities and documentation to remediate audit observations. Conduct presentations of highly complex solutions to business stakeholders.
• Support: Provide support to core leaders to define and deliver an initiative. Provide data-centric support to business stakeholders and other partners. Such support may include database queries, root cause analysis, impact analysis, and coordination with other subject matter experts.
• Coaching and mentoring: Provide high level coaching to junior members of the team. Help to develop data-related skills of junior members of the team.
Required qualifications for this position include:
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Informatics or 4 years of related experience.
8 years related experience in data and/or Product Management experience with direct Production ownership.
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
Master's Degree in Business Administration or STEM area of study.
8 years In depth experience with developing data and product roadmaps and functional specifications, UAT, Customer support, launching new products, conducting customer research, and facilitating user testing.
8 years Strong organizational, presentation, and writing skills and ability to successfully interact across functions at all levels of an organization and with customers.
8 years SQL, Cloud, Visual Studio, ADO, Power BI, Tableau or other development, reporting or coordination tools.
5 years Experience in the Healthcare Industry.
A working knowledge of statistical models and principles, and have a proficiency in using statistical tools at a scale that is commensurate with the job level.
A working knowledge of one or more PSJH-relevant data domains, e.g., clinical, financial, etc.
About the department you will serve.
Providence Shared Services provides a variety of functional and system support services for our Providence family of organizations across Alaska, California, Montana, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas and Washington. We are focused on supporting our Mission by delivering a robust foundation of services and sharing of specialized expertise.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: IT Project/Program Management
Other Location(s): Oregon-Portland, California, Oregon, Washington-Redmond, Washington-Renton, Washington-Seattle, Washington
Req ID: 312966